It’s no secret that the Oregon State University Beavers and the University of Oregon Ducks have a complex history that leaves students, team members, and fans in a never-ending argument of “Who’s best?”.
Each year, the Ducks and the Beavers battle it out in a game that has been lovingly-dubbed “Civil War.” To celebrate, Spirit Mountain Casino gladly hosts our annual Civil War Viewing Party!
This year, Civil War takes place two days after Thanksgiving on Saturday, November 25th! Tickets are currently on sale now for $25 a head. With kickoff usually happening around 4 PM, getting to the casino early for good seats will be the smartest thing you could do. After all, you won’t want to miss:
- The entire pre, main, and post-game on our 15’X20’ high definition screen
- An assortment of tailgate-favorite snacks, as well as a football-sized feast over at the Cedar Plank Buffet.
- Each person will get a drawing ticket to potentially win neat Ducks and Beaver merchandise.
Throughout the unprecedented 121 years that the Ducks and the Beavers have been going head-to-head in Civil War, there have been many notable highlights; here are a few:
- Way back in 1933, both the Beavers and the Ducks came into the Civil War game with undefeated streaks in the season, making for a very high stakes game.
- 50 years later in 1983, the game was cheekily labeled the “Toilet Bowl,” because the game ended in a scoreless tie. Both teams struggled and came up short on scoring any points in this rainy, dower Civil War.
- The 2009 Civil War has been labeled the “War for the Roses,” because the winner of the game would get a Rose Bowl nod.
- After the University of Oregon won the 1972 game, rival Ducks fans charged the field in hopes of taking down the goal posts. They successfully took down the south goal posts, and while trying to do the same to the north goal posts, Beavers fans were there for defense, which resulted in a large brawl between fans.
- In 2010, a distraught Beavers fan was charged with riot and misdemeanors for lighting an anti-Ducks t-shirt on fire which damaged some of the field’s turf.
Hopefully, this year’s game will go smoothly for both teams, and you can take part in the festivities with Spirit Mountain Casino by getting your tickets before they’re gone.